Good lighting is essential for security in your home. Security lights deter criminals, make it easier to see if there is a problem, and help you feel more safe and secure. There are many ways you can light up your home using different products and techniques. Read on for insights on how security lights improve the safety of your home, the solutions that are available for you, lighting tips and installation guidelines. How security lights can deter criminals
Criminals are always looking for easy targets. A well-lit home is less likely to be targeted than a dark one. Studies have shown that burglars are less likely to target homes that have motion-sensor lights, security lights, and well-lit porches and walkways.
Lighting makes it easier to see
If there is a problem in your home, such as a break-in or a fire, good lighting can make it easier to see what is happening. This can help you to stay safe during the night and to get help if needed.
Lighting makes you feel safer
Feeling safe and secure in your own home is important. Good lighting can help you to feel more safe and secure by making your home seem brighter, more welcoming, and less inviting to criminals.
Lighting solutions to improve the security of your home.
There are a number of things you can do to improve the security of your home with lighting and deter criminals. Here are our top tips:
- Install motion-sensor lights around your home. Motion-sensor lights will turn on automatically when they sense movement. This deters criminals and makes your home appear occupied.
- Install security lights in your yard. Security lights should be placed in strategic locations around your yard, such as near entrances and exits, walkways, and windows.
- Light up your porches and walkways. Well-lit porches and walkways make it more difficult for criminals to sneak up on you or your family.
- Replace old light bulbs with bright, energy-efficient bulbs. Brighter lights will make your home more visible and a challenging target for criminals.Consider installing a security system with cameras and lights. A security system will provide you with added peace of mind.
Tips for choosing and installing security lights:
- Choose lights that are bright enough to illuminate your property without being blinding.
- Consider using a combination of flood lights, spotlights, and pathway lights to create a well-lit perimeter around your home.
- Make sure your lights are motion-sensor activated so that they only turn on when needed.
- Install your lights at a height that will make them difficult to tamper with.
- Test your lights regularly to make sure they are working properly.
Installing your security lights
In Australia, homeowners can legally do some electrical work themselves. This includes installing low voltage garden lighting, pond pumps, and battery operated smoke alarms. They can also replace old-style fuses, drive belts in washing machines, blown light bulbs, and LED downlights. However, homeowners cannot perform any direct electrical wiring work, or install or connect electrical appliances that require hardwiring. If unsure about whether or not you can perform a specific electrical task, you should consult with a licensed electrician.
In most Australian states, for electrical work you are required to obtain a compliance certificate from your tradesperson. This certificate guarantees that the work was completed to Australian standards and that you are covered for any defects in workmanship.
Albert Corn & Son lighting installationAlbert Corn & Son is a leading residential electrician in Geelong. We can help you to improve the security of your home with lighting advice and installation. Contact us today to learn more about our services. Give us a call on 03 5245 7727 or get in touch online.