Safeguarding Your Electronics at Home and Work

Whether at home or work, compromising safety shouldn’t be a question. Energy Safe Victoria has recently launched their Electrical Safety Check campaign, promoting the importance of having all electrical work carried out by a licensed electrician. Our modern homes and workplaces have plenty of electronic devices that are relied upon on a daily basis. This brings with it the potential for certain issues. From air conditioning to computers, our electronic devices have the potential to malfunction and cause significant damage. High voltage surges, dust, overheating and contact with water can all contribute to electrical malfunctions. That’s why it’s crucial to have your electrical systems checked and certified by professionals. 

Why you need an electrical safety check – how electronics are damaged

Electronics at home and work can be damaged in several ways, including through the effects of high voltage surges that travel through building wires or cables. These surges can cause excessive stress on the components of the integrated circuit, leading to your electronics being damaged beyond repair and needing replacement.

Having too many appliances and electronic devices plugged into outlets can lead to overloading. This excess demand on the electrical system can cause overheating and, ultimately, fire. To avoid this, electrical outlet loads should always be kept to a safe level, and wires, cables and circuits should regularly be checked. 

Environmental factors such as water, dust and humidity can also lead to damaged electronics. This is the case for electronics situated near water sources or in areas where dust build-up or significant heat is present. All of these factors can be problematic for electronics, and it’s always recommended that you keep your electronics as far away from these kinds of spaces as possible.  

Energy Safe Victoria 2024 Safety Campaign 

Home electrical safety – homeowners

Many people don’t consider that older homes might not meet the demands of modern electronics. So scheduling an inspection of your wiring and circuits with a professional is ideal. You can keep track of updates to your electrical system and ensure you’re maintaining local safety standards by referring to your Certificates of Electrical Safety (COES). 

Home electrical safety – renting 

Victorian regulations state rental providers must ensure an electrical safety check of all electrical switchboards, wiring and fittings in the premises is conducted every two years by a licensed electrician. If requested, the rental provider must also provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing.  If you’re a renter, a flickering light bulb or a malfunctioning appliance can be warning signs of more significant problems. If you’re unsure whether your home electricals have been checked and certified as safe, you can request that your landlord provide you with COES certification.


Workplace electrical safety   

Employers are responsible for ensuring a safe work environment. This includes managing the maintenance of electrical equipment and installations. Falling under Occupational Health and Safety an electrical hazard is defined as – when a person comes into contact with electricity in the workplace. Employers must also ensure employees can work safely with electrical equipment and have procedures for reporting and tagging out damaged or faulty equipment. 

Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) – electrical safety check

Energy Safe Victoria is the Victorian Electrical body, responsible for implementing and regulating COES certification following the Electricity Safety Act 1998 and Electricity Safety (General) Regulations. 

There are two types of COES certificates – namely, prescribed and non-prescribed. Prescribed certificates are required for more comprehensive electrical work and require an official inspection before electricity is turned back on. Non-prescribed certificates are needed for everyday electronic household/ office mechanisms such as lights, power points, air conditioning and hot water services. 

Prescribed certificates 

Prescribed certificates apply to electrical components such as mains cables, switchboards, meter boxes, and renewable energy systems. An independent Licensed Electrical Inspector must inspect the work before electricity can be turned on. The electrician or Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) organises the inspection and must provide a copy of the certificate to the customer within 4 days of the inspection being completed.

Example COES form – Energy Safe Victoria 

Non-prescribed certificates 

A Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) for non-prescribed tasks is needed for electrical work such as lights and power points. The Licensed Electrical Worker completes the work and tests electrical work before turning it on, without the need for an inspection. The Registered Electrical Contractor or Licensed Electrical Worker will provide a copy of the COES within 30 days of completion.

Example COES form – Energy Safe Victoria 


Schedule an Electrical Safety Check

Electricity plays a central role in the functioning of our modern lives, and Electrical Safety Checks give you peace of mind that all your electronics are working safely, as well as in compliance with regulations. 

Every home and office is unique, with varying sizes and electrical requirements. Working with an experienced and reputable electrician such as Albert Corn & Son to deliver an Electrical Safety Check will keep your home and office safe and ensure you are always compliant with Victorian regulations. As a certified electrician, licenced by Energy Safe Victoria, our workmanship is second to none. So get in touch with a member of our team today and trust us to keep you and your home or office safe.

Do you need an experienced electrician?

Our proven track record of over 70 years as electrical contractors servicing Geelong, enables us to quickly identify your needs and offer you the best possible solutions.

Get in touch with us for an obligation free quote.

Contact Us Today